Background

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

O's Psychiatric Habit

O has a habit...a really strange one.  Ever since he was able to pull and grab he has LOVED to eat hair...that's right, hair.  He eats it off the floor, he has pulled it from my head while feeding, and now he pulls his own hair out just so he can eat it.  We are CONSTANTLY taking hair away from him.  He DESPERATELY tries to get it in his mouth before we catch him with it.

Today was his 18 month appointment with the Dr. for his shots.  As a side, he is now 26 lbs & 33 1/4 inches tall!  She asked if there was anything I was concerned about in his development.  I said no, but that he has this strange habit of eating hair and has begun to pull out his own hair to eat.  I told her I looked it up online and read that babies may do this to feel what it's like and will usually stop when they discover it hurts.  But O doesn't seem to mind pulling his hair...he doesn't act like it hurts and he continues to do it, just so he can eat what he yanks out!

Her response?  "Hm, that is strange.  I've only heard of people doing that who are adult psychiatric patients.  Obviously, that's not him, so it's probably just a stage he's going through, but I'll make a note and we'll keep an eye on it.  If it starts to really worry you, I can put you in touch with...someone I'll have to take a look for...but they'll prob. just say the same thing, to monitor it.  You'll have to keep his hair short, eh." (this is not word for word...but close)

I mean, it probably is just a stage...and I'm really not that worried about it.  But, it was kind of weird to be told by your Dr. that she's only ever heard of adult psychiatric patients doing what O does.  He isn't pulling enough to have bald spots...but I hope it doesn't get to that point.  I'm hoping it stops...soon.  At least he doesn't pull my hair as much anymore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment